Are you going to meet a psychologist in the near future, but stuck on what questions to ask a Psychologist?
Do you know, Over 9 crore Indians, or 7.5 percent of the country’s population of 1.3 billion, suffer from some form of psychological issues, according to the World Health Organization(WHO) report.
However, the percentage could be much higher, as suggested by the findings of a countrywide 2015-2016 study by India’s National Institute of Mental Health & Neurosciences (NIMHANS).
There are several types of psychological issues like; Mental Health, Depression, Anxiety, ADHD, Autism, or not able to choose the best career. Then you must consult a psychologist near you or online.
But the point is If you are stuck on what questions to ask a psychologist; then you’re at the right place. In this post, we are going to tell you what questions to ask a psychologist on different kinds of psychological disorders.
1. Mental Health
The mind is a vital part of the human body, which means everyone must eat a healthy diet, follow exercises, or yoga on daily basis to safeguard mental health from disorders.
As per the Global Burden of Disease report for mental health in India, mental disorders account for 13% of total diseases found in any human being.
You should know that one in seven Indians were affected by mental disorders of varying severity in 2017.
So, If you think you are facing a mental health disorder, then…
Questions to ask a Psychologist on Mental Health
1. What causes mental health disorders?
2. What are the symptoms of a mental health disorder?
3. How can mental health struggle manifest me physically?
4. How can mental health affect my sleep?
5. What kind of lifestyle changes can help with my symptoms of mental health disorder?
6. What might progress with my mental health look like?
7. Are there any topics of conversation I should avoid?
8. Are there any behaviors I can change to avoid causing further harm?
9. What is the general time frame in which most patients see results?
10. What is the best way to improve my mental well-being?
11. What should I do in a mental health disorder emergency?
12. Will the psychologists prescribe me medicines?
Infographic explaining the main causes and symptoms of a mental health disorder:
Depression is a major health problem and we feel weakness or negative personality conditions.
As per the World Health Organization report worldwide more than 264 million people are affected with depression. It can lead to suicide and close to 800 000 people die due to suicide every year.
Between 76% and 85% of people in low- and middle-income countries receive no treatment for their disorder. 43 percent of Indians suffer from depression, according to a new study.
Conducted by GOQii, a smart-tech-enabled preventive healthcare platform, the study surveyed over 10,000 Indians to understand how they have been coping with the new normal.
So, If you think you are facing depression, then…
Questions to ask a Psychologist on Depression:
1. What causes depression?
2. What are the symptoms of depression?
3. What kind of depression do I have?
4. How might depression affect my appetite and weight?
5. How could depression affect my sleep?
6. What kind of lifestyle changes will help with my symptoms of depression?
7. Is depression hereditary?
8. Do I need medicine to treat my depression?
9. Do the symptoms of depression need special treatment?
10. What should I do in a depression emergency
Infographic explaining the main causes of depression:
Are you worried about each and everything that happens in your life? If it’s happening on regular basis then it can be a symptom of anxiety.
According to a study in 2017, an estimated 264 million people worldwide experienced anxiety disorders and across the world, it varies from 2.5 to 7 percent by country.
So, If you are unable to live your life up to the mark you have imagined; then please consider consulting a Psychologist.
However, here is a list of questions to ask a psychologist about anxiety.
Questions to ask a psychologist on anxiety:
1. causes anxiety?
2. What are the symptoms of anxiety?
3. If anxiety occurs too often then will it have harmful effects on my body and life?
4. How to stay socially active during anxiety?
5. How to change my attitude towards people around me?
6. Will medicines be prescribed to me?
7. How often, I should exercise or Yoga?
8. What type of diet, I follow to keep my mind and body active?
People with ADHD may have trouble paying attention, controlling impulsive behaviors, or being overly active. Although ADHD can’t be cured, it can be successfully managed and some symptoms may improve as the child ages.
The estimated number of children ever diagnosed with ADHD, according to a national 2016 parent survey, around is 6.1 million affected by ADHD.
This number includes 388,000 children aged 2–5 years. 2.4 million children aged 6–11 years(SOURCE of this study). ADHD is not curable However, it can be improved by consulting a psychologist
Questions to ask a psychologist on ADHD:
1. What is ADHD?
2. How is ADHD diagnosed?
3. What causes ADHD?
4. What are the symptoms of ADHD?
5. What other conditions can occur with ADHD?
6. Does ADHD need medication, or can it be treated effectively without it?
7. When can my child expect to notice improvements in how he feels?
8. Is there a medication that my child can take on an as-needed basis, such as when he needs to focus or concentrate?
9. How does ADHD affect an adult’s work or job?
10. How effective are medication-free treatments?
11. What could the workplace or my employer do to help with my ADHD
Infographic explaining how to manage your kid’s ADHD at home:
Are you facing challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication? It can be a symptom of autism.
According to a world health organization report worldwide, one in 160 children suffers from ASD. So if you are thinking to consult a psychologist then,
Questions to ask a Psychologist on Autism:
1. What causes autism?
2. What are the symptoms of autism?
3. What other conditions can occur with autism?
4. How can I encourage communication skills in my child?
5. Are there ways to help my child get more sleep at night?
6. What are my child’s strengths and how can they be maximized?
7. How can it be diagnosed?
8. What kind of medicine will be prescribed by the Doctor
So in this post, you have learned the most asked questions to a psychologist about different kinds of psychological issues that people face often.
Please keep in mind that the relationship with the psychologist is strictly ethical and professional and aimed towards treatment. If there is a breach in boundaries, the therapist is at liberty to terminate the therapeutic alliance.